Ecommerce and online shopping have seen rapid growth in Pakistan over the last few years.
More and more people are going online to purchase products, especially with the rise in smartphone and internet penetration.
The ecommerce industry is projected to reach $7.8 billion by 2023, according to recent estimates.
Amazon is the world’s largest online marketplace and expanding its presence across the globe, including Pakistan.
Opening an online business on Amazon gives Pakistani entrepreneurs access to over 197 million customers worldwide.
However, launching on Amazon requires research, planning, and strategic execution.
This guide will provide an overview of the steps involved in starting a successful Amazon online business in Pakistan:
- Conducting market research
- Registering your business
- Setting up your Amazon seller account
- Managing inventory and shipping
- Marketing your products effectively
- Analyzing data to optimize sales
Following this framework can help Pakistani entrepreneurs successfully launch and grow a profitable Amazon FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon) business. Let’s explore each section in detail.
Before launching your Amazon business, it’s crucial to conduct thorough market research to gauge demand and identify winning products. Here are some tips for researching the Pakistani market on Amazon:
- Analyze best-selling categories – Use Amazon’s bestseller rankings and tools like Jungle Scout to determine popular search keywords and product categories. Electronics, apparel, beauty, and books are some top-selling verticals.
- Check competitors – Search for your planned product category and analyze competing listings on the first pages. Evaluate their pricing, reviews, branding etc. This gives insight into market competition.
- Assess customer reviews – Read in-depth reviews of existing products to identify customer pain points, preferences and insights you can leverage.
- Search volume and trends – Use Google Keyword Planner or Jungle Scout to assess monthly search volume and demand for relevant keywords. Also check historical trends.
- Supplier analysis – Search on platforms like Alibaba to find suppliers and assess manufacturing capability, pricing and minimum order quantities.
- Prohibited categories – Some products like weapons, prescription drugs etc are prohibited by Amazon in Pakistan. Ensure your product is acceptable.
- Localize branding – Use Pakistani flag branding and target local cultural preferences for naming and marketing products.
Tips for picking a winning product:
- High demand but low competition
- Good profit margins after costs
- Lightweight and easy to ship
- Generic unbranded or private label products
A great way to test products is to run giveaways and collect customer feedback before committing inventory.
Once you’ve identified some potential winning products through rigorous market research, you’ll be ready to select one and proceed to the next steps involved in launching your Amazon Pakistan business.
To legally operate your Amazon FBA business in Pakistan, there are some key legal and tax registrations required:
- Sole proprietorship: Simplest registration, just your ID.
- Partnership firm: Partnership deed required.
- Private limited company: More complex but higher credibility. Requires memorandums and articles of association.
Consult a lawyer on the best business structure suitable for your size and goals.
- National Tax Number (NTN): Required for all businesses earning over PKR 50,000. Apply online on the FBR portal.
- General Sales Tax Number (GST): Compulsory for businesses with annual turnover above PKR 10 million. GST registration done online.
- Provincial Sales Tax Number (PST): Needed if selling goods in Punjab, Sindh or KPK which have PST. Apply on provincial revenue authority sites.
Some additional licenses may be required depending on your product:
- Import/Export Code – From Trade Development Authority for importing or exporting goods.
- Barcode Registration – For selling packaged goods in Pakistan through GS1 Pakistan.
- Halal Certification – For halal consumable items like supplements or cosmetics.
- PSQCA Certification – For regulated products like bottled water, jams etc.
Completing these registrations and requirements can take some time so its wise to begin the process early. Consult qualified lawyers and accountants to ensure full compliance. Proper legal structuring will also help you minimize tax liabilities in future.
Setting up Amazon Seller Account
Once your business is legally registered in Pakistan, the next step is setting up your Amazon seller account and storefront profile:
- Go to Amazon Services website and sign up for an individual or professional selling account
- Choose your plan – Individual, Professional or Business based on sales volume
- Provide required business information, ID documents, bank account, and tax info
- Pay your monthly subscription fees for the plan via credit card
- Pick a unique seller name and brand for your storefront
- Design an eye-catching logo and banner
- Provide detailed information about your business and return policies
- Integrate payment and banking information for disbursements
- Add users and assign roles like admin, shipping etc. Manage permissions.
- Set up 2-step verification for security
- Install Amazon Seller App on your smartphone
- Sign up for Fulfillment By Amazon (FBA) to outsource fulfillment and shipping.
- Enable advertising services to promote products
- Integrate seller tools like Jungle Scout, Helium 10 for product research
Take time to properly optimize your seller profile and settings to maximize credibility and conversion. This forms the foundation for your Amazon presence.
For an Amazon FBA business, solid inventory management is key to efficient operations and optimized profitability. Here are some tips on managing inventory and shipping for Amazon Pakistan sellers:
- Find manufactures and suppliers on Alibaba, GlobalSources, PK Bazar etc.
- Compare pricing, MOQs, shipping costs and production capability
- Get samples to evaluate product quality before large orders
- Do quality assurance checks before accepting large shipments
Shipping to Amazon Warehouses
Ship inventory to Amazon fulfillment centers (FCs) in USA or EU
Properly label and pack inventory per Amazon specifications
Send stock spread across multiple FCs to enable geo-targeting
Inventory Tracking & Accounting
Maintain sufficient stock levels to avoid going out of stock
Monitor inventory value, COGS, days in stock for accounting
Managing Lost and Damaged Items
Inspect shipments thoroughly at the FC and report issues
Enable inventory loss prevention settings
File claims for reimbursement of damaged stock
Restocking and New Selection
Use supply chain analytics to optimize restock quantities
Periodically test new product selections from suppliers
Phase out poor performing products
Proper inventory planning is crucial for meeting customer delivery promises and maintaining healthy cash flow. As you scale, consider outsourcing to prep centers to simplify inventory management.
Marketing Your Amazon Products
An effective marketing strategy is required to drive traffic, increase visibility and boost sales of your products on the Amazon Pakistan marketplace.
Product Listing Optimization
Write compelling titles, bullets and descriptions highlighting key features and benefits
Include extensive details like images, specs, videos, comparison charts
Optimize backend keywords for discoverability
Run A/B tests on listings to improve conversion
Amazon PPC Advertising
Run sponsored product ads to rank higher in searches
Target keywords with high demand and low competition
A/B test ad creatives, landing pages and bids
Leverage display ads, product collection ads for conversions
- Include keywords naturally in title, features and backend
- Get product reviews to improve rank and authority
- Run promotions to increase sales velocity and rank
- Optimize packaging and inserts to reduce returns
External Traffic Sources
Promote products on social media channels like Facebook, Instagram
Build affiliate marketing relationships with bloggers and influencers
Invest in Google Shopping ads to attract external searches
Sync ecommerce store to increase distribution
Build your Brand
Leverage social media to build an emotional connection with Pakistani consumers.
Localize branding and messaging for cultural relevance
Participate in trade shows and industry events
Get certified as an Amazon Brand to boost authority
Consistent optimization across these channels will boost your product visibility and Amazon PK sales. Always track performance and double down on what works.
Here are some key takeaways for successfully launching and growing an Amazon FBA business in Pakistan:
- Conduct thorough market research to identify in-demand products aligned with local consumer preferences.
- Register your business properly with all required licenses, tax IDs and documentation.
- Optimize your Amazon seller profile and settings to establish credibility with customers.
- Manage inventory efficiently through disciplined purchasing, tracking and restocking processes.
- Market aggressively on and off Amazon through optimized listings, advertising, external traffic sources and branding.
- Analyze data constantly to optimize listings, prices, promotions and overall strategy.
With the right product, operational rigor and marketing approach, Pakistani entrepreneurs can build highly profitable Amazon online businesses.
This comprehensive guide outlines the step-by-step process to set up and grow a successful Amazon FBA enterprise.